YOP

YOP
Follow my progress!

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Pint Sized Washcloth

I am sick a lot so my husband does the shopping for the family and he always buys these blue sponges for washing dishes.  My boys, aged 17 & 20 years old, help a lot with cooking and cleaning up the kitchen but they are notorious for leaving said sponges in the sink to turn into blue cheese. They get gross and stinky and I always end up throwing them out.  Gag me with a spoon man!  This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I asked them why they don't use the crochet dishcloths I've made or just any other cloth that can be washed and they said they like the size of the sponges and they said they clean better.  I did point out that if they clean up right away things come clean easier without the need to scrub with the scratchy side of the sponges.  I also noticed that when I clean up I usually do fold the dishcloth into a smaller rectangle that fits better in my hand.  So I decided to make a dishcloth that would make everyone happy.

I have made a ton of these things while watching TV and I don't even have to think about what I am doing since they are so stinkin' easy.  They work up to about 5" x 4.5" inches before washing.  I use different colorways as a color coding system for different cloths used for different purposes.  I have a set for kitchen use, a set for each of my boys for bathe with (I have an OCD boy that doesn't want anyone else to use his even though they get washed lol) and a set for me and my husband.  I have a set for cleaning the bathroom or other dirty areas and I have a set that I use as reusable fabric softener sheets.  

The textured stitches work well for scrubbing in the kitchen and also help clean acne-fied skin. Everyone seems to like them.  My younger son also pointed out that they make good coasters and he uses them to clean off his desk surface which is glass.  



Pint-Sized Washcloth

I use US terms.  

You will need:
about 26 yards of 100% worsted weight Cotton Yarn
An H (5mm) crochet hook

Gauge: 8 sc = 2"
Finished size: 5" x 4.5"

Start by making your slip knot so that you have about a 2.5" - 3" tail and chain 18.

Row 1. Single crochet in second chain from hook and into each chain to the end.  (17 sc)
Row 2. Chain 1 and turn, single crochet in each stitch across. (17 sc)
Row 3. Chain 1 and turn, *single crochet in first stitch, triple crochet in next stitch* repeat across ending with a single crochet in last stitch (9 sc, 8 tr)
(note: make sure the single crochet stitches do not get stretched out.  They should pull the taller triple crochet down to create a textured stitch)
Row 4. Chain 1 and turn, *triple crochet in first stitch, single crochet in next stitch* repeat across ending with a triple crochet in last stitch.  (9 tr, 8 sc)
Row 5 & 6. Chain 1 and turn, single crochet into each stitch across. (17 sc)
Row 7. Chain 1 and turn, *single crochet in first stitch, triple crochet in next stitch* repeat across ending with a single crochet in last stitch (9 sc, 8 tr)
Row 8. Chain 1 and turn, *triple crochet in first stitch, single crochet in next stitch* repeat across ending with a triple crochet in last stitch.  (9 tr, 8 sc)
Repeat rows 5 - 8 one more time.
Row 9. Chain 1 and turn, single crochet in each stitch across, chain 1 and turn.

Now, without cutting the yarn, you are going to work a round of single crochet around the entire square putting two stitches in each corner and crocheting over yarn tail.  

More detail here for beginners.
Chain 1 and turn, work 2 single crochet in first stitch, work 1 single crochet in next stitch and each stitch to the end of the row putting two single crochet in the last stitch (corner). Continue around to the side evenly spacing single crochet stitches into free loops (Free loops are just any loop or loops at the edge that you can make a stitch into.  Sometimes you may need to use a smaller hook or use a darning needle to loosen up a loop so you can get your hook in better) When you get to the bottom, which is the back side of your beginning chains and also where your yarn tail is, work 2 single crochet over the yarn tail into the corner loop and then work 1 single crochet in each loop (working over the yarn tail until it is covered) to the end putting 2 single crochet in the corner stitch. Continue around to the last side evenly spacing single crochet until you get back to the beginning.  Join with a slip stitch to the beginning single crochet.  Cut yarn and weave in end.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

6 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to make these. I also agree that sometimes dish/washcloths can be too big to handle. Question: how do you use them as dryer sheets? Have a good day Donna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you like them. I mix 1/3 cup downy or whatever kind of liquid softener with 2/3 cup water in a plastic container that is about the same size as the cloths and fill it with several of the cloths. When I start my laundry I turn it upside-down to make sure they all get saturated and when the clothes go in the dryer I toss it in (squeeze it out if it is too soggy).

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous idea Donna. Cannot wait to try this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I hope you like the pattern.

      Delete
  3. Please - PLEASE - tell me how your crocheted dish/cleaning cloths work as fabric softener sheets! I am so sensitive to most commercial products that I have resorted to my grandmother's method - white vinegar. No, it's not smelly, but I'm always looking for alternatives. And by the way - I also wind up folding the dishcloth, so these will be wonderful. For whatever purpose ;-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I made a few cloths using this pattern and everyone at my home absolutely loves them! This is the best scrubbie/washcloth I have owned. I am going to be making more and stashing up on them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are groovy.