Frilly Dress) finished finally but there were some problems. It is a beautiful dress and I love it but there are some errors in the pattern; some were fixed and the pattern updated but they didn't fix them all. I made notes of the problems I found as I worked on my Ravelry project page here. Besides those more obvious mistakes the straps are too long. I'm new at making baby clothes and my kids are grown so I didn't realize until too late that the straps were way too long and besides that they stretch out under the weight of the dress and it ends up looking like a vintage strongman's outfit. With the help of someone in a facebook crochet group who shared this chart I learned that the straps should be about 2.25" so now I have to fix them. I've never had to fix something like this before and I did a lot of googling to see if someone else had a better way but of course I found nothing. I also asked in the crochet group but other than lots of suggestions on how much I should shorten the straps or that I should add buttons etc, I got no suggestions on the actual process. So here is what I decided to do with some pictures.
Besides the strap issue, this dress is not really very practical and is more of a photo-op dress. The skirt is so full and heavy with yarn that it would probably be hard for a child this age, who is just learning to walk, to walk in without falling. This dress is pretty much floor length. Another person on ravelry who made this dress told me it is very difficult to fasten the car seat strap over the bulk of the dress so it is better to wait to put the dress on after coming out of the car seat. I think it would be much better to make the newborn to 3 month size since there are less problems with it than with the larger sizes. There are less rounds (so less increases and less bulk). Plus, from what I can see most of the errors are in the larger sizes.
So now that I'm done it looks like this. These pictures are dark since it is night time now so the color is actually much lighter.
My third project was a quick little crochet washcloth which was a CAL with the ravelry group called Dishcloth Weekly Knitalong. They have KAL/CALS using free patterns every week and is a fun group of people.
|Flower Power dishcloth|
The next two patterns were also quick ones. I finished them both on Saturday even though it is still
|Weeping Willow Sun hat (free pattern)|
I had planned to make this hat for my great niece Maya in her great grandmother's favorite color red. She is only two and never got to meet her great grandma who passed away in 2008. I made this hat to go with a cute little heart-shaped purse I made her in May. I sewed a zippered pouch (putting in my first zipper ever) and I used a red vintage zipper from my mom's sewing table. My mom would be so happy to know I used something of hers to make this little gift for her great grand-daughter.
While I was working on that hat, Buddy the beagle baby kept stealing my ball of yarn or the project. I had already noticed he seems to really like the color red (or dark pink) and anytime I try to work with that color I have to fight him off. Since he just turned 4 months old I thought I should make him a little toy using red yarn. I came up with my own pattern that I will write up later and post here on my blog. For now I want to see how this first one holds up. Here is Buddy's Squeaky Bug which he really loves.